Italian Language/di for specification

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not:

Il bambino č a casa di nonna.
The young boy is at grandma’s house.

Il bambino č a casa della sua nonna.
The young boy is at his grandma’s house.  

Il bambino č a casa della nonna.

I just want to make sure that I correctly understand the difference between the meaning of:  “casa di nonna” (grandma’s house) ,  “casa della sua nonna” (his grandma’s house) ,  and “casa della nonna” (his grandma’s house).

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Both “Il bambino č a casa della nonna” (The young boy is at grandma’s house) and “Il bambino č a casa di sua nonna” (The young boy is at his grandma’s house) are correct, while “Il bambino č a casa della sua nonna” (The young boy is at his grandma’s house), with the articulated preposition “della”, is less commonly used, though it is not wrong.

As for “Il bambino č a casa di nonna” (The young boy is at grandma’s house),with the simple preposition "di" before "nonna", it is sometimes used in a familiar context when this grandma is also the grandma of the  speaker.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria