Italian Language/"studio" (office) e "ufficio" (office)

Question
Dear Maria,  

Would you please explain what the difference is between the noun “studio” and the noun “ufficio” when these words are used to express “office”.  

Thank you so much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the noun “studio”, when it is  used to express “office”, can  indicate:

1)a place where you can go to ask advice from or receive treatment from a doctor or dentist, etc. such as "a surgery" (studio medico); "a dentist’s surgery" (studio dentistico); "an optician’s surgery" (studio oculistico);"a veterinary surgery" (studio veterinario).

2)a place where you can go to ask advice from  a lawyer as in “lawyer’s office”  (studio legale), or from an adman as in “advertising agency” (studio  pubblicitario).

As for the noun “ufficio”, it is used to indicate:

1)a room or part of a building in which people work, especially sitting at tables with computers, phones, etc., usually as a part of a business or other organization, as in e.g. "a post office" (ufficio postale); "the director's office" (il direttore dell’ufficio); "to leave the office" (lasciare l’ufficio), etc.

2)a part of a company as in “They have offices in Paris, London, and Madrid” (Hanno i loro uffici a Parigi, Londra e Madrid).

Hope this is clear enough.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria