Italian Language/parrucchiere, parrucchiera, barbiere

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if there is any difference between the masculine noun - “parrucchiere” and the masculine noun - “barbiere”.

Are both of these words used in Italian to say “barber”?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

both "barbiere" and "parrucchiere" are commonly used to say "barber".

Anyway,we use “barbiere” (barber) to indicate a person whose job is cutting hair and shaving beard of men and boys, while we use “parrucchiere” to indicate a gentlemen’s hairdresser as well as a ladies’ hairdresser, i.e.a person who cuts people's hair and puts it into a style.

Therefore the difference between the masculine noun  “parrucchiere” and the masculine noun “barbiere” is that “ barbiere” is  used only to mean “barber”, i.e. the one who  cuts hair and shaves beard off, whereas the masculine noun “parrucchiere” (i.e. “parrucchiere per uomo”/”parrucchiere da uomo”) indicates either a gentlemen’s hairdresser/hair stylist  or a barber.

To sum up, the  commonly used word for “barber” is “barbiere”, while “parrucchiere” is used especially for  a person who cuts people's hair and puts it into a style.

Kind regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you very much  for your help with this question.   

Would you please tell me if the following is correct or not:

A “parrucchiere” is a “man” who is a hairdresser/stylist for either men or women.

A “parrucchiera” is a “woman” who is a hairdresser/stylist either for men or for women.  

A “barbiere” is a man or woman who cuts only men’s hair.

If the above is correct, would you  also please tell me if the following expressions are used in Italy:

negozio del parrucchiere  (hairdresser’s shop)

salone del parrucchiere  (hairdresser’s shop)

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you are right in saying that a “parrucchiere” is a “man” who is a hairdresser/stylist for either men or women, whereas you are wrong when you say that “A “parrucchiera” is a “woman” who is a hairdresser/stylist either for men or for women”  and “A “barbiere” is a man or woman who cuts only men’s hair“.

Please note that:

-A “parrucchiera” is a “woman” who is a hairdresser/stylist for women only (not for men).

And:

-A “barbiere” is a "man"(not "or woman") who cuts only men’s hair.

As for the expressions “negozio del parrucchiere/della parrucchiera”  or “salone del parrucchiere /della parrucchiera”, they both are commonly used in Italy.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria