Italian Language/prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to understand the correct use of prepositions with the masculine noun “cimitero” (cemetery).  I was wondering if a “cimitero” is considered as one of those - “common expression of place” that requires the use of the simple preposition “in”.

For example, would you please tell me if the followings sentences are correct or not:

Sono in cimitero.
(I am in/at the cemetery)

Andṛ in cimitero.
(I will go in/to the cemetery)

Or, should the preposition be articulated as in the following sentences:

Sono nel cimitero.
(I am in/at the cemetery)

Andṛ nel cimitero.
(I will go in/to the cemetery)

Lastly, I am also wondering if either the preposition “a” or the articulated preposition “a” could be used as in the following sentences:

Sono a cimitero.
(I am in/at the cemetery)

Andṛ a cimitero.
(I will go in/to the cemetery)

Sono al cimitero.
(I am in/at the cemetery)

Andṛ al cimitero.
(I will go in/to the cemetery)

Thank you very much for your help.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the masculine noun “cimitero” (cemetery)  is not considered as one of those “common expression of place” that requires the use of the simple preposition “in”.

Therefore both “Sono in cimitero” and “Andṛ in cimitero” are wrong, whereas the correct forms are “Sono nel cimitero”  and “Andṛ nel cimitero” with the articulated preposition.

Similarly, the simple preposition “a” cannot be used before “cimitero” and thus you must say “Sono al cimitero” and “Andṛ al cimitero” with the articulated preposition, whereas “Sono a cimitero” and “Andṛ a cimitero” are wrong.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria