Italian Language/prepositions with "ristorante'

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about which preposition – “in” or “a”  should be used to link the noun “ristorante” to a verb.

I have experienced the following sentences:

Mangeremo nel ristorante di Vittorio.
We will eat in/at Vittorio’s restaurant.

Bevo il caffè al ristorante.
I drink coffee in/at the restaurant.

But, I am now wondering if this is the only way to structure these sentences.  I was wondering if both the preposition “in” and the preposition “a” are equally correct  when used to link the noun “ristorante” to any verb of motion or verb of staying.

For example, would you please tell me if it is acceptable to say the following:

Mangeremo al ristorante di Vittorio.

Bevo il caffè nel  ristorante.
I drink coffee in/at the restaurant.

Andrò nel ristorante di Vittorio.
I will go in/to Vittorio’s restaurant.

Andrò al ristorante di Vittorio.
I will go in/to Vittorio’s  restaurant.

I was also wondering if the simple preposition “in” and “a” should be used with the word “ristorante”.  Can you please tell me if the following is correct or not:

Andrò a ristorante.
I will go in/to the restaurant.

Andrò in ristorante.
I will go on/to the restaurant.

Le donne lavorano in ristorante.
The women work in/at the restaurant.

Le donne lavorano a ristorante.
The women work in/at the restaurant

Thank you very much.  I very mush appreciate your great help!!

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

it is acceptable to say :”Mangeremo al ristorante di Vittorio”, “Bevo il caffè nel ristorante”, “Andrò nel ristorante di Vittorio”, "Andrò al ristorante di Vittorio”.

But it is not acceptable to say:” Andrò a ristorante”, “Andrò in ristorante”, “Le donne lavorano in ristorante” and  “Le donne lavorano a ristorante” because the simple prepositions “in” and “a” cannot be used with the word “ristorante”.

We can use the simple preposition “in” only if it is  followed by the indefinite article “un” as in :“Andrò in un ristorante” or “ Le donne lavorano in un ristorante”, whereas we never use the simple preposition “a” with the word  “ristorante”.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria