Italian Language/"salone"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please help me to better understand the use and the meaning of the masculine noun “salone”.  

My dictionary presents a very confusing  set of possible translations for this word including – “living room”, “lounge”, “reception room”, “saloon”, “salon”, “show”, etc.   

This is quite confusing.  

Would you please be able to tell me how “salone” is actually used in Italian.

Thank you so much.   I so very much appreciate your help with this question.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

The exact meaning of the Italian masculine noun “salone”, which is the augmentative of the feminine noun “sala”, is “a very large room in a house or apartment that is used for relaxing and entertaining guests”.
It is in this sense that “salone” is actually used in Italian.

Anyway, though “salone” is commonly used  for “a very large room in a house or apartment that is used for relaxing and entertaining guests”, it is also used to mean “salon” as in e.g. “hairdressing salon” (salone del barbiere/del parrucchiere), “show” as in “motor show” (salone dell’automobile) and “showroom” (sala di esposizione).

As for “living room”, “lounge”, “reception room” and  “saloon”, please note that:

- “living room” corresponds to the masculine noun  “soggiorno”, i.e. a room in an apartment that is used for watching television, relaxing and entertaining guests and relatives.

-“lounge” corresponds to the feminine noun  “sala”(a room with chairs where you can sit and relax in a  house or hotel) and “sala  d’attesa” (a room with chairs where you can sit and relax  in an airport).

-“reception room” corresponds to the feminine noun “accettazione”( a desk in a hospital where people go when they arrive) or “banco d’accoglienza”( the place in a hotel or office building where people go when they arrive).

-“saloon” corresponds to the masculine noun “bar”, i.e. "a place where drinks, especially alcoholic drinks, are sold and drunk”.

As you can see, we have different words for “living room”, “lounge”, “reception room”, “salon”  and  “saloon”.

Hope this can be useful to you.

All the best,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria