Italian Language/use of: "in questo momento"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
“In questo momento mio marito č  nel negozio del barbiere.”
(At this moment my husband is at the barbershop.)

Can you please tell me if it is mandatory to include the phrase “in questo momento” in this sentence.  

Is it also acceptable to say:
“Mio marito č nel negozio del barbiere.”
(My husband is at the barbershop.)

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

If a woman  says “In questo momento mio marito č  nel negozio del barbiere”, she wants to point out that at that moment her  husband is at the barbershop, whereas if she says “Mio marito č nel negozio del barbiere”, she does not refer to a specific moment, but  generally says that her husband  has gone to the barbershop, which however he could have left yet.

In short, there is a difference between  the two sentences “In questo momento mio marito č  nel negozio del barbiere” and “Mio marito č  nel negozio del barbiere”, since the former defines the time, the latter is generic.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria