Italian Language/17century translation

Hello, i am looking to translate a few lines by a natuaral historian of the seventeenth century. Here they are. I am particularly puzzled by the word arcelle , and peregrina, I think I can manage the rest . Presumably he is talking of a scaly lizard here !

Una Lacerta squammosa, le di cui squamme paiono Arcelle rigate di singolar bellezza essendo lunga quasi duo braccia. Carol Eclusio descrive quest'Animale a fol.374 e lo chiama Lacerta squammosa peregrina nel libro Exoticarum, e fu questa donata Monsig. Airoldi hora Nuntio in venetia.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Hello Susan,

The scientific and ancient language here reported is characteristically rich in Latin influence. The ancient scientific name (Lacerta squammosa peregrina) is a Latin expression, such as scientific names usually are. This shouldn't be translated. It's interesting, anyway, to understand the meaning of the Latin expression. As you correctly said, Lacerta squammosa is a scaly lizard; peregrina is an adjective which means traveller, foreigner or even exotic.
Arcella means small ark, a sort of case or casket; in this passage "arcelle rigate" probably refers to how the lizard skin looks like: strong and polished, disposed in a well designed pattern, like a chiseled precious casquet.

Hope this helps! If this could be useful for you, please send the whole translation to me and I'll be glad to check the correct correspondence to the Italian text.

Italian Language

I read and correct your italian texts, either translations or written compositions. I read or listen to your oral compositions, readings and speechs and help you improve your pronunciation and style. I read and correct also your advertising short and medium texts. I answer questions about Italian language, slang, style, punctuation. I don't answer about dialects and specific local slang.

I'm mother tongue; I graduated at Classic Lyceum (100/100), studying classic Italian language and classic Latin and Greek. The 5 years long daily exercise in translation from ancient Latin and Greek to modern Italian taught me to appreciate a correct italian translation and/or text composition. I graduated at University in Law studies and Jurisprudence, learning to appreciate deep differences between a strictly specific and technical language and other styles. I'm currently PhD candidate in Philosophy of Law. I read fiction, classic novels, philosophical books and papers, legal books and papers.

Read more about Italian -

Italian mother tongue; diploma at Liceo Classico (100/100; year 2001); Laurea at University (110/110 cum laude; year 2008); PhD in Law: Philosophy of Law and Sociology of Law