Italian Language/object pronouns

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please answer the following:

Can direct object pronouns and/or indirect object pronouns be used with reflexive verbs?

Can direct object pronouns and/or indirect object pronouns be used with intransitive pronominal verbs?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

sorry, but I have to tell you that the formulation of such questions is simplistic, since the Italian reflexive and pronominal verbs are a very difficult matter for a non-native speaker.
Therefore I cannot answer such questions simply in the affirmative or in the negative, without knowing exactly the verbs you refer to.

So, please explain by indicating some examples.

Anyway, I can point out that:

-the reflexive verbs such as “lavarsi” in “Io mi lavo” and  “salutarsi” in “Essi si salutarono” use either the direct object pronoun “mi” in “Io mi lavo”(i.e. Io lavo me stesso) or the indirect object pronoun “si” in “Essi si salutarono (i.e. Essi si salutarono tra di loro).

-the  reflexive intransitive pronominal verbs such as “pentirsi”  in “Voi vi pentirete delle vostre azioni” and ”vergognarsi” in “Ci vergognammo molto di ciò”  use the pronominal particles “mi, ti, ci, si, vi”  as a  part of  the verb, not as direct object pronouns and/or indirect object pronouns.

This in general,of course, since the matter is much broader than I have said, and thus I'm waiting for your details so that I can help you with reference to the verbs/examples that you will be so kind as to indicate.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria