Italian Language/use of "a letto"

Question
Dear Lauren,

Can you please tell me if the simple preposition “a” is always used before the word “letto” (bed) in order to say “in the bed” or “to the bed”.   I am trying to verify that the definite article should not be  included before “letto” after the preposition “a”.

For example,  I am thinking that the definite article should not be included as shown in the following statements:

Il bambino è a letto.
The boy is in the bed.

Io vado a letto.
I am going to bed.

But, I just want to make sure that the above use of the simple preposition “a” is correct, and that the following would not be correct:

IL bambino è al letto.
The boy is in the bed.

Io vado al letto.
I am going to bed.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

P.S.

Would you please also tell me if the following translations are correct or not:

Il bambino è a letto.
The boy is in the bed.

Io vado a letto.
I am going to bed.

Answer
Hi Rich,

Apologies for the delay in replying - I have been quite busy over the last few days.

I can confirm that the simple preposition 'a' is always used before the word 'letto' in order to say 'in the bed' or 'to the bed.

Therefore, your translations 'the boy is in the bed' and 'I am going to bed' are correct.

With this construction, the conjugated 'al' is never used.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan