Italian Language/volere bene a

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you, once again, for your help with my previous question.

Can you please help me with a question about the use of:  “volere bene a” and "volere bene".

I am trying to understand the pronouns that are used with "volere bene" and  “volere bene a”.  

For example, when one states - “Ti voglio bene” or “Vi voglio bene” – can you please tell me if “ti” and “vi” are being used as direct object pronouns or if they are being used as indirect object pronouns.

I also have a question about the use of stressed (disjunctive) pronouns with “volere bene a”. I was wondering why one would use a stressed pronoun and say - “Voglio bene a te” (I love you) instead of saying -  “Ti voglio bene” (I love you).    Is this just a speaker‘s choice?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I am always glad to help you.
So, when one states - “Ti voglio bene” or “Vi voglio bene” – both “ti” and “vi” are being used as indirect object pronouns, because  “Ti voglio bene” or “Vi voglio bene” stand for “Voglio bene a te” and “Voglio bene a voi” where “a te” and “a voi” are “complementi di termine”, not direct object that we use after transitive verbs such as  e.g. “Egli legge un libro”.
Instead, “volere bene a “ is an intransitive expression that cannot have a “complemento oggetto”(direct object).

As for  the use of stressed pronouns with “volere bene a”, instead of the pronominal particles “ti”, “vi”, it depends upon the context.
For example, I say ”Voglio bene a te, e non a lui” when I want to point out that “te” is in contrast with “lui”, as I love you, not him.
Otherwise, we use the pronominal particles “ti”, “vi” and say  “Ti voglio bene” (I love you), not “Voglio bene a te”.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria