Italian Language/articles

Dear Maria,  

My question is about the following sentence:
I bambini portano magliette viola.

The context of this sentence is as follows:  This sentence was written as a caption under a picture of several boys who are all wearing purple t-shirts.  (These boys are all members of a sport team and are all wearing their uniforms.  Their uniforms include these purple t-shirts.)

Can you please explain why the definite article would not have been included as in saying:
I bambini portano le magliette viola.

I thought that an article must always be included when talking about items of clothing unless you are talking about clothing in general, but even when talking about clothing in general - an article is still included unless the clothing is grammatically plural and in a negative sentence.

This sentence seems very specific and is not negative.  So, I am again confused.   I would very much appreciate your help.   

Thank you

Dear Rich,

The  sentence “I bambini portano magliette viola” used as a caption under a picture of several boys of a sport team who are all wearing purple t-shirts is correct as it wants to point out that these boys are wearing their purple t-shirts as a uniform.
Therefore, in this context  we can omit the definite article, since to say “I bambini portano le magliette viola” could mean that the  t-shirts could have been blue, red or whatever colour.

Best regards,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: