Italian Language/colors

Question
Dear Maria

I am trying to understand the difference between the following colors:  "blu"  "azzurro"  "celeste"

Can you please tell me the following:

Is "blu" a dark blue?

Is azzurro a light blue?

Is "celeste" a synonym of "azzurro" and therefore also a light blue?

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in Italian the color "blu" aka “turchino” is just a dark blue / deep blue,  while  “celeste” is a light blue/pale blue, and  “azzurro” is a sky blue, i.e. an intermediate  color between the “celeste” and the” turchino” / “blu”.

As you can see,  "celeste" is not a synonym of "azzurro" as “azzurro” is not so light as “celeste”.

In short, if we wanted to make a ranking of these colors from the most intense to the least  intense color, we should write:

1-blu /turchino = dark blue / deep blue

2-azzurro= sky blue as an an intermediate  colour between  “celeste” and ” turchino” / “blu”.

3-celeste = light blue/pale blue

Hope this is helpful to you.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria