Italian Language/familiar form of the verb

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please verify that the following is true:

[1] Children should use the familiar form of the verb when talking to their parents.

[2] Children should use the familiar form of the verb when talking to their grandparents.

[3] Children should use the familiar form of the verb when talking to another child that he does not know or is just meeting for the first time.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I think that in all of these rules/assertions the expression “the familiar form of the verb “ refers to the Italian pronoun “tu” (2nd.person singular) that we use correctly as a pronoun in an informal situation or speech when we are with friends and family.

Therefore it is correct to say that children use the familiar form of the verb, i.e. the "tu",  when talking to their parents,  when talking to their grandparents, and finally when talking to another child that they do not know or are just meeting for the first time.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria