Italian Language/where a person comes from/ where a person lives

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not:

Loro di dove sono?
Where are they from?

Di dove sono la tua famiglia?
Where is your family from?

Loro dove vivono?
Where do they live?

Dove vivono la tua famiglia?
Where does your family live?

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the correct translations for “Where is your family from?” and “Where does your family live?” are  the following:

-”Di dov’è la tua famiglia?”(Where is your family from?), if you are using the  “tu” pronoun, as you are familiar with the person you are talking to.
-“Di dov’è la sua famiglia?”(Where is your family from?), if you are using the  “Lei” pronoun, as you are not familiar with the person you are talking to.

-“Dove vive la tua famiglia?”(Where does your family live?), if you are using the  “tu” pronoun, as you are familiar with the person you are talking to.
-“Dove vive la sua famiglia?”(Where does your family live?), if you are using the “Lei” pronoun, as you are  not familiar with the person you are talking to.

As you can see, in both “Di dove sono la tua famiglia?” and  “Dove vivono la tua famiglia?”  the verb “sono”  (3rd.person plural) is wrong  because it must be “è” (3rd.person singular) as its subject noun is “famiglia” just in the singular number.

Lastly, both "Loro di dove sono?" (Where are they from?) and "Loro dove vivono?" (Where do they live?)are correct, but you can also find:"Di dove sono loro? and "Dove vivono loro?" with the plural subject pronoun "loro" at the end of the sentence, if somebody wants to emphasize this pronoun.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria