Italian Language/postato

Question
QUESTION: Dear Lauren,
I heard a sentence in a video that confused me, and I think it’s Roman dialect because the story takes place near Rome. (Also, they’re using “mo” for “now.”)

The sentence is “Io non sono postato per i lavori manuali.”

The subtitle translation was “I’m not cut out for manual work.”

I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard, but of course “postato” means “posted,” right? But is it used this way figuratively or in the Roman dialect?

Thank you very much.
Janet

ANSWER: Hi Janet,

Many thanks for your question.

I must admit that I have never come across the word 'postato' before to refer to being cut out to do something. Is it at all possible to send me the link to where you heard this?

Yes  - it would appear that the dialect is Roman or at least from around the Lazio area as the use of 'mo' for 'adesso' is highly characteristic of this region.

Sorry I cannot be of more help for now,
Kind rgards,
Lauren

QUESTION: HI, Lauren,

I can't send you the link because it's a subscription-only online learning program called Yabla. But I've been thinking about it, and maybe he said "disposto" but he slurred his words. Would "disposto" be a reasonable word for him to have used?
Thanks,
Janet

Answer
Hi Janet,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I think that 'disposto' would be a highly appropriate word to say as meaning 'inclined' or 'willing', this could certainly be translated as 'cut out'. This is a standard Italian expression though - not one strictly belonging to Roman dialect.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan