Italian Language/postato

QUESTION: Dear Lauren,
I heard a sentence in a video that confused me, and I think it’s Roman dialect because the story takes place near Rome. (Also, they’re using “mo” for “now.”)

The sentence is “Io non sono postato per i lavori manuali.”

The subtitle translation was “I’m not cut out for manual work.”

I’m pretty sure that’s what I heard, but of course “postato” means “posted,” right? But is it used this way figuratively or in the Roman dialect?

Thank you very much.

ANSWER: Hi Janet,

Many thanks for your question.

I must admit that I have never come across the word 'postato' before to refer to being cut out to do something. Is it at all possible to send me the link to where you heard this?

Yes  - it would appear that the dialect is Roman or at least from around the Lazio area as the use of 'mo' for 'adesso' is highly characteristic of this region.

Sorry I cannot be of more help for now,
Kind rgards,

I can't send you the link because it's a subscription-only online learning program called Yabla. But I've been thinking about it, and maybe he said "disposto" but he slurred his words. Would "disposto" be a reasonable word for him to have used?

Hi Janet,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes I think that 'disposto' would be a highly appropriate word to say as meaning 'inclined' or 'willing', this could certainly be translated as 'cut out'. This is a standard Italian expression though - not one strictly belonging to Roman dialect.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan