Italian Language/Use of nouns without definite articles

Question
Dear Lauren

Could you please explain why, in the example below, the noun 'TV' has an article but 'music' does not:

Possiamo guardare la TV oppure ascoltare musica.

Is there a rule to help me determine when I can/must leave out the definite article?

Many thanks
Linda

Answer
Hi Linda,

It is necessary to use an article with TV as we are referring to a specific television - in this case, the TV in the room where the person is located. However, music is a far more general noun and cannot be pinned down to the specific 'the music' as it does not exist in a single entity but rather can be appropriated by anybody. If the word was instead 'radio', then the article would be necessary - la radio - because like the TV, the radio has a concrete location in the room that the person is in.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan