Italian Language/use of: "rumori" and "dare fadstidio":

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have translated the following sentence correctly:

Di notte i rumori mi danno fastidio.
The noises bother me at night.

Would it be also acceptable to use the masculine singular noun – “rumore” instead of the plural noun – “rumori” in the above sentence as in the following sentence:

Di notte il rumore mi danno fastidio.
The noise bothers me at night.

If so, is this just a writers’ choice as to when to use the plural (rumori) or the singular (rumore).   Or, is the plural form “rumori” always used in Italian?

Also, can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that “dare fastidio” literally means “to give trouble”,   but translates better as “to bother” or “to annoy”.    And that therefore, “dare fastidio” is classified as an idiomatic expression.

Thank you very much for your great help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

your translation of “Di notte i rumori mi danno fastidio” (The noises bother me at night) is correct.
If you want to use the singular “rumore” instead of the plural noun “rumori” in the above sentence you must say: ”Di notte il rumore mi dà fastidio” with the verb in the 3rd.person singular as it must agree with the subject noun “rumore” in the singular.

Anyway, in this sentence  it’s better to say “i rumori” as this plural  noun refers to unwanted, unpleasant or loud sounds, whereas the singular “rumore” has a more generic connotation.

Lastly, “dare fastidio”, which can be classified as an idiomatic expression, literally means “to give trouble/bother”, and therefore “to bother” or “to annoy”.  

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria