Italian Language/use of "vicina alla strada"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of the preposition “vicino” in the following sentence:

La mia casa è vicina alla strada.
My house is near the street.

Can you please help me to parse the use of “vicina a” in this sentence.

I have been trying to understand if “vicina a” is a “locuzione prepositiva”?  Or,  is it possible that    “vicina alla strada” is a type of “complemento indiretto” in this sentence?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence “La mia casa è vicina alla strada”  the  word “vicina” is an adjective and so it is in the feminine singular for it agrees with the subject “casa”.
See e.g.:”L’estate è ormai vicina”, “Data l’età, mio marito è  quasi vicino alla pensione”, “La stazione ferroviaria è vicina alla casa in cui abito”, etc.
As you can see, “vicino” when used as an adjective agrees with the noun it refers to and is followed by the preposition “a” that can become “al/allo/ alla/etc.

As for the “locuzione prepositiva”  composed of “vicino” (indeclform) and the preposition “a” (semplice o articolata), we find it in sentences like the following:“Abito vicino a Genova”, “Mi piace sedere vicino alla finestra”, “Ho un appartamento vicino al mare”, etc.

Lastly, “vicino” can also be used as an adverb as in “Egli abita vicino”, “Vieni più vicino”, etc.

In short, “vicino” when used as  an adjective agrees with the noun it refers to, while when used as an adverb or “locuzione prepositiva” it is invariable.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria