Italian Language/"alzarsi" and saying "AM" "PM" in Italian

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
Si alzò alle cinqua della mattina.

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct or not:
He got up at 5 AM.

Just to make sure that I understand this sentence, would you please also tell me if I am correct in thinking that “alzò” is the third person singular form of the reflexive verb “alzarsi”.  If “yes”, would you please tell me if the reflexive verb - “alzarsi” is used to talk about “getting out of bed” and therefore that   “alzarsi” means “to get out of bed”.

I was also wondering about the use of “della mattina”.  

Am I correct to think that “della mattina” means “AM”?  (The reason I ask is because I was once told that   “di mattina” means “AM”)

If I am correct in thinking that “della mattina” is translated as “AM”, would the following also be correct:
della mattina  = AM
del pomeriggio = PM
della sera  =  PM
della notte = AM

And, would it also be correct to say:

di mattina  = AM
di pomeriggio = PM
di sera  =  PM
di notte = AM

I am trying to determine whether or not only the articulated articles “della” and “del” are used to indicate “AM” and “PM” or if it is also possible to use the simple preposition “di” to indicate “AM” and “PM”.

Thank you very much for helping me with all of the above questions.  .   I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the sentence “Si alzò alle cinque della mattina” translates exactly as “He got up at 5 AM.”

You are   correct in thinking that “alzò” is the "passato remoto", third person singular form of the reflexive verb “alzarsi” which  is used to talk about “getting out of bed” and therefore  “alzarsi”  means  “to get out of bed” and then “to get up”.

Also, you  are correct in  thinking  that “della mattina” means “AM” whic is the acronym of Latin “Ante Meridiem” meanig “before noon”, while PM is the acronym of Latin “Post Meridiem” meaning “after noon”.

So, you have translated correctly:

“Alle cinque della mattina”  = at 5 AM
“Alle cinque del pomeriggio” = at 5 PM
“Alle cinque della sera “ = at 5 PM
“Alle cinque della notte”  = At 5 AM

So,both “Alle cinque del pomeriggio” and “Alle cinque della sera" correspond to  "at 5 PM", while both “Alle cinque della mattina” and “Alle cinque della notte” correspond to:"at 5 AM ".

It is also correct to say:

“Alle cinque di mattina” or “Alle cinque del mattino” = at 5 AM
“Alle cinque di pomeriggio” or “Alle cinque del pomeriggio” = at 5 PM
“Alle cinque di sera” or “Alle cinque della sera “ = at 5 PM
“Alle cinque di notte”  or “Alle cinque della notte” = At 5 AM

So,both “Alle cinque di/del pomeriggio” and “Alle cinque di/della sera" correspond to  "at 5 PM", while both “Alle cinque di/della mattina” and “Alle cinque di/della notte” correspond to:"at 5 AM ".

As you can see, the articulated prepositions “della” and “del” are used to indicate “AM” and “PM” , but it is also possible to use the simple preposition “di” to indicate “AM” and “PM”.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria