Italian Language/complemento di tempo

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you, once again, for your help with all of my questions.

I think the reason that I am having a difficult time understanding the difference between the use of the simple preposition “di” with mattina, pomeriggio, sera, and notte and the use of the articulated prepositions “della” and “del” with mattina, pomeriggio, sera, and notte is because I do not understand the difference between a “complemento di specificazione” and a “complemento di tempo”.

I think that I understand the use of a “complemento di specificazione”.  But, I do not understand the “complemento di tempo”.

Would you please help me to understand the “complemento di tempo”.

Is it true that a “complemento di tempo” is not used to define another noun or to provide additional information about another noun?   Rather, does a “complemento di tempo” depend on (modify) a verb?

Thank you, once again, for all of your help.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the “complemento di tempo” that in English could be translated as “indirect object of time when” or “indirect object of time within”  and “indirect object of time how long “ indicates when or  within an action  happens or how long it lasts.

For example, in “Verrò di pomeriggio, non di mattina” the expression “di pomeriggio” (in the afternoon or during the afternoon ) and “di mattina (in the morning or during the morning) indicates when somebody will come.

Also, in “Parlò per due ore” (He spoke for two hours) the expression “per due ore” indicates  how long  somebody spoke, while in “Negli ultimi tre anni non sei venuto da noi” (Within the last three years you did not come to see us)the expression "Negli ultimi tre anni" indicates the period of time within somebody did not come to see us.

As you can see, the “complemento di tempo” is not used to define another noun or to provide additional information about another noun, but only to define the time of an action.

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria