Italian Language/depending on / depends on

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you again for your help with this question.

Can you please help me to understand what is meant by saying “depending on the plural feminine adjective” and “depends on favorable” in the following sentence:  

“As for “alla concentrazione”, which is not an idiomatic expression, but an indirect object instead, depending on the plural feminine adjective “propizie”, it corresponds exactly “to the concentration” where “to the ”(alla) depends on “favorable” (propizie) and “concentration” indicates just mental effort/the ability to think carefully about something you are doing, as in e.g.“The noise outside made concentration difficult”.

Is “depending on” and “depends on” another way to refer to “modifiers” as in saying that “alla concentrazione” is an indirect object that modifies “propizie”?  I hope you don’t mind me asking such a simple question, but sometimes I can get quite confused.  

Thank you very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

when I’ve said:”depending on the plural feminine adjective “propizie” in the  sentence that you mention, I meant that the Italian adjective “propizio”, when it is followed by an indirect object, takes the preposition “a”,”al”, “alla”,"ai",etc. before this indirect object as in e.g. “Le circostanze erano propizie AI nostri piani”.

Similarly, when I’ve said :” “depends on favorable”, I meant that the English adjective “favorable” takes the preposition  “to”  before this indirect object as in e.g “Circumstances were favourable TO our plans”.

Maybe in English  both “depending on” and “depends on”  are another way to refer to “modifiers” as in saying that “ALLA concentrazione”(TO the concentration) is an indirect object that modifies “propizie”.

In short, English uses the term "modifier", whereas Italian says that "alla concentrazione" is an indirect object that depends on the adjective "propizie"

To conclude, I think that it is a mere terminology matter for  English uses the term “modifier” as “a word or phrase that is used with another word or phrase to limit or add to its meaning”, while in Italian we say that an indirect object or direct object depends on another word.

Hope this is clear now.

Best regards,

Maria
__________________________________________________________________________
P.S. Hope the very cold winter has definitely ended  in  northern Ohio and the spring arrives soon, just like here in Italy where the spring has already arrived for several days.

Italian Language

Maria