Italian Language/Fare una figura da francesi

Question
Ciao Francesco

I was reading an article about Italians who use English words in their language and it suggest that someone might "fare una figura da francesi".

What does this mean?  Does it mean they'll sound like they're speaking a foreign language/gobbledegook?

Grazie mille in anticipo,
Robin

Answer
Ciao Robin,
"fare una figura da francesi" is a phrase that is not used very often in Italian, however it means something like "you think you are the best and you are sure you are going to win, but reality is different and in the end you lose".
It has been historically used to describe the French knights' attitude at the Challenge of Barletta (more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_of_Barletta ), and has been revived on occasion of the 2006 Soccer World Cup finale.

Italian Language

Francesco Marchesani