Italian Language/names of American States

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the preposition “in” can be used with the names of American States.  

If “yes”, would  “in California”  be translated as  “in”  “at” or “to” California depending on the verb used in the sentence?

Would it also be possible to use the preposition “a” with names of American States.?   If “yes”, can you also please tell be if “a” should be articulated or just used as a simple preposition.  

I also do not know if the names of American States  are considered to be masculine of feminine.  For example, should I say - “al California” or “alla California”  

Finally,   would you please tell me if the preposition “a” is also be translated as “in”, “at”, or “to” when used with names of American States - depending, once again, on the verb used.

Thank you very much.    I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the Italian preposition “in” can be used with the names of American States, so that “in California” , “in Arizona”, “in Texas” , “in Iowa”, “in Ohio”, “in Virginia”,”in Connecticut”,  etc. can  be translated as  “in”  “at” or “to” California , Arizona, Texas, Iowa, Virginia, Connecticut, etc., depending on the verb used in the sentence.

Please note that the simple preposition “in” can also  be articulated  as in “Abito nel Connecticut” , “nel Delaware”, “nel Colorado”, “nell’Idaho”, “nell’Indiana”, “nell’Iowa, “nell’Ohio”, “nel Kansas”, “nel Kentucky”, “nella Louisiana, “nel Maine”, “nel Maryland”, “nel Massachusetts”, “nel Michigan”, “nel Minnesota”, “nel Mississippi”, “nel Missouri, “nel Montana”, “nel Nebraska”, “nel Nevada”, “nel New Hampshire”, “nel New Jersey”, “ nel New Mexico”, “nel North Carolina”, “nel Nord Dakota”, “nell’Oklaoma”, “nell’Oregon”, “nella Pensylvania”, “nel Rhode Island”, nel South Dakota”, “nel South Carolina”, “nel Tennessee”, “nel Texas”, “ nello Utah”, “nel Vermont”, “nella Virginia”, “nel West Virginia”, “nel Wisconsin”, “nel Wyoming”.

As for the use of  the preposition “a” with the names of American States, it  is not used , except  Hawaii  where it must  be articulated   as in  “Vado alle Hawaii” ; “Abito alle Hawaii”.

Apart from Hawaii, the preposition “a”  (simple/articulated) cannot be used with the names of American States and therefore “al California” or “alla California”   are absolutely wrong.

Lastly,  the names of American States  are considered to be mainly masculine , except  “la Louisiana”, l’Indiana”, la Pensylvania”, “la Carolina”, la Virginia” that are feminine.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria