Italian Language/prepositions

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me how to say the following in Italian:

I am going to my home.

I am going to my beautiful home.

I am going to the house.

I am going to my beautiful house.

Your translations will help me very much because I am trying to determine if the preposition “in” or if the preposition “a” should be used with "casa" in the above sentences, and also whether or not this preposition should be articulated.  

Does this choice of preposition depend upon the verb or upon the noun "casa"?  I am wondering if the preposition “a” should be used because “andare” is a verb of motion.

Could you also please tell me if “in casa” means “to the house”  ?

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate all you do to help me.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

first of all I have to tell you that in Italian we use always  the noun “casa”  either we must translate “home” or  we  have to say “house”.
In short, both “home” and “house” translate as “casa”.

Therefore here are the translations of the following examples:

“I am going to my home”=  “Vado a casa mia” or simply “Vado a casa” where “a casa” implies the possessive “mia”.

“I am going to my beautiful home” = “Vado nella mia bella casa”

“I am going to the house” = “Vado a casa”

“I am going to my beautiful house” = “Vado nella mia bella casa”.

As you can see, the preposition “in” (simple/articulated) or the simple  preposition “a”  are  used with "casa" in the above sentences where this choice of preposition depends upon the verb as well as  upon the noun "casa".

As for  the preposition “a”, it is used because “andare” is a verb of motion, though "a" is used also with verbs of staying as in  e.g. “Sono a casa “(I’m at home) or “Perché non le telefoni ora? Penso che sia in casa” ( Why don’t you phone her now? I think she’s at home).

Finally,  “to the house”  means "a casa" depending upon a verb of motion as in "“I am going to the house” = “Vado a casa”, while "in casa" corresponds to "at home" as in "I'm at home"= "Sono in casa"/ "Sono a casa".

See also:

-“Non era a casa” = “He wasn’t at home”
-“Sono andato a cena a casa di mia zia”= I went to my aunt’s house for dinner “.
-“Non è una casa molto grande, ma è casa mia” = “It’s not a very big house, but it’s my home”
-“Stanno costruendo tre nuove case al termine della nostra strada”= “They’re building three  new houses at the end of our road”.
-“Abbiamo trascorso la notte da Michele”(a casa di Michele)= “We stayed overnight at Mike’s" (at Mike’s house)”

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your help with this question.  I hope you will not mind a follow-up question on a similar topic.    

I understand that “a casa mia” is used to say “to my home” as in -   “Io vado a casa mia” – “I go to my home”

Would you please tell me if it is also acceptable to translate  - “Io vado a casa mia” as “I go to my house”

I was also wondering how to say “in my home” and “in my house”

Is “mia” once again used without the definite article and placed after the noun as in:  “Io sono in casa mia”

If “yes”, would you please tell me if the following translations are both correct:
“Io sono in mia casa”  =  “I am in my home”    “I am in my house”

Finally,  can you please verify for me that the preposition used in "Io sono in mia casa"  is once again determined by the verb?    Since “essere” is a verb of staying – I am thinking that “in” should be used in this sentence.

Thank you for all of your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

yes,  it is also acceptable to translate  “Io vado a casa mia” as “I go to my house”

As for  how to say “in my home” and “in my house”,  the possessive  “mia” is used without the definite article and placed after the noun as in e.g.  “Io sono in casa mia”,  “Sono a casa mia”, “Vado a casa mia”, “Vengo da casa mia”, “Giovanni è passato da casa mia”.

But, “Io sono in mia casa” (“I am in my home” & “I am in my house” ) is wrong, because the possessive adjective “mia”  must be  always placed after “casa”

Finally,  in the  sentence “Io sono in casa mia”  the preposition “in”  is once again determined by the verb  “essere” which is a verb of staying .

Hope this can help you.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria