Italian Language/prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please verify that either the simple or the articulated preposition “in” is used before names of rooms according to the verb that is used in the sentence.     

Can you also please tell me if it is true that when a room in a house is modified that the definite article must be included.

Examples:  

Io sono in cucina.   
I am in the kitchen.

Io sono nella cucina.   
I am in the kitchen.

Io sono nella bella cucina.
I am in the beautiful kitchen.

I am also wondering if the preposition “a” would ever need to be articulated when used before the name of a room. To help me understand, would you please tell me if the following sentences are correct or not:

Examples

Io vada a cucina.
I am going to the kitchen.

Io vado alla bella cucina.
I am going to the beautiful kitchen.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the sentences  “Io sono in cucina”  and “Io sono nella cucina”, both meaning “I am in the kitchen” are correct, though “Io sono in cucina” is more acceptable that “ Io sono nella cucina” which is used especially when “cucina” is followed by a detail such as a relative clause or a specification.

See for example:  “Sono nella cucina che hai appena visto” (I am in the kitchen that you have just seen); “Sono nella cucina del secondo piano”; “Sono nella cucina che č accanto alla mia camera”, etc.

As for “Sono nella bella cucina” (I am in the beautiful kitchen), it is grammatically correct, though we  use “nella bella cucina” only when it is followed by a detail such as a relative clause or a specification, as in “Sono nella bella cucina che tu conosci” or “Sono nella bella cucina della mia casa”.

Lastly, with regard to “Io vada a cucina” (I am going to the kitchen) and “Io vado alla bella cucina” (I am going to the beautiful kitchen), they both are wrong because you should have said “Vado in cucina”  (I am going to the kitchen) and “Vado nella  bella cucina” (I am going to the beautiful kitchen), since the word “cucina” takes “in” /”nella”  with the verb of motion too.

To sum up, I have to point out that:

-either the simple or the articulated preposition “in” is used before names of rooms according to the verb that is used in the sentence.

-it is true that when a room in a house is modified the definite article must be included, if there are other details.

-the preposition “a” in “Io vado a cucina” and  “ Io vado alla bella  cucina” is wrong.

Kind regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria