Italian Language/prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:

Vado in discoteca.
I am going to the discoteque.

Can you please tell me if the preposition “in” is being used correctly in this sentence.  

I am wondering because usually the preposition “a” is used with the verb “andare”.  

Is the word “discoteca” one of those special exceptions that always requires the use of  the preposition “in”?    

If “yes”, can you also please tell me if I am correct to think that the simple preposition “in” is used with the word “discoteca” unless “discoteca”  is modified.  If “doscoteca” is modified  -   the articulated preposition would then be used as in:

Vado nella bella discoteca.
I am going to the beautiful discoteque.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

The use of “in” in the sentence “Vado in discoteca” (I am going to the discotheque / to the disco)  is correct.

It is true that  usually the preposition “a” is used with the verb “andare”, but  the word “discoteca” is just one of those special exceptions that always requires the use of  the preposition “in”.   

So, you are  correct in thinking  that the simple preposition “in” is used with the word “discoteca” unless “discoteca”  is modified.  
If “discoteca” is modified, the articulated preposition would then be used as in:”Vado nella bella discoteca che si trova poco distante da casa mia” (I am going to the beautiful disco which is not so far from my home).

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria