Italian Language/prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentences:

Nuoto in piscina.
I am swimming in the pool.

Vado in piscina.
I am going to the pool.

Vado nella bella piscina.
I am going to the beautiful pool.

Can you please tell me if the preposition “in” is being used correctly in these sentences.  

Is the word “piscina” one of those special words that always requires the use of  the simple preposition “in” (unless modified) ?  

Or, is it possible to use the preposition “a” with the word “piscina”?   Can you please tell me if it is ever possible to use the preposition “a” with the word “piscina”.    

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the preposition “in” is being used correctly in the sentences that you mention, for the word “piscina” requires the use of  the simple preposition “in” (unless modified).

See also:”Sono in piscina”, “Stava per andare in piscina”,”Mi piace nuotare in piscina”, “E’ bello nuotare nella tua bella piscina”, "Vai spesso in piscina?", etc.    

Usually, it is not possible to use the preposition “a” with the word “piscina”, apart from few sentences such as “Mi stavo dirigendo alla piscina”, “Devi recarti subito alla piscina di Albaro”, where the verbs of motion “dirigersi” and “recarsi” allow the use of the articulated preposition “alla”, but not the use of the simple preposition "a".

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria