Italian Language/use of the past participle - "seduto"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct or not:
Ho seduto.  =  I have sat.

Can you also please tell me if I am correct in thinking that the word “seduto” is being used as a past participle to form the passato prossimo verb tense.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I’m sorry, but “Ho seduto” is wrong in Italian, for we have the intransitive  verb “sedersi” or “sedere” whose “passato prossimo” is “Mi sono seduto” with the auxiliary verb “essere”, not “Ho seduto” with the auxiliary verb “avere”.

See also:”Sedette vicino a me” ( he sat down near me); “Si è seduto vicino a me” (He has sat down near me); etc.

To sum up, you are correct in thinking that the word “seduto” is being used as a past participle to form the “ passato prossimo” verb tense, but you have used the auxiliary verb incorrectly.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria