Italian Language/direct object

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that the pronoun “ti” is a “direct object” in the following sentence:

“Ti ho invitato per il dopocena.”

Would you also please tell me if I am correct in thinking that “ti” can be identified as a direct object because “ti”  answers the question “whom” as in – I invited whom?  I invited you (ti).

Thank you so much.  I still have some problems in differentiating between Italian direct object pronouns and Italian indirect object pronouns – so your answer will help me very much.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you are correct in thinking that the pronoun “ti” in the sentence “Ti ho invitato per il dopocena”  is a “direct object” .
Also, you are correct in thinking that “ti” can be identified as a direct object because “ti”  answers the question “whom” as in – “I invited whom?”  -“I invited you (ti)”.

Hope this can help you  in understanding the difference between Italian direct object pronouns and Italian indirect object pronouns, since a direct object  answers the question “whom” just as in  “I invited whom?”   and moreover,generally speaking, all the  Italian transitive verbs can have a direct object as in e.g. “Mangio (transitive verb) volentieri la frutta (direct object)”; “Leggo (transitive verb) un libro (direct object)”, “Ti (direct object) invito (transitive verb) volentieri”, etc.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria