Italian Language/prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

Just to check my understanding, I need to ask you the following question about the use of prepositions.  I hope that you will not mind helping me with this question.

I have learned in the past that it is the verb used in the sentence that determines which preposition is used before a noun.  

But, I have also learned that there are some specific instances where a certain preposition is always used with a particular “category of noun”.  

For example:  The preposition “in” is always used to say “in”, “at”, or “to” before names of countries (in Italia = in, at, to Italy).  The preposition “in” is always used before names of Italian regions to say “in”, “at”, “to” (in  Piemonte = in, at, to Piemonte).

Would I therefore be correct in my understanding to say that -  although the verb used in the sentence usually determines which preposition is used before a noun   -    some categories of nouns (such as countries, regions, and others) must use a specific preposition regardless of the verb?

I very much appreciate your help with my questions about the use of Italian prepositions.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

your  understanding is correct as it is true that, although the verb used in the sentence usually determines which preposition is used before a noun, some categories of nouns (such as countries, regions, and others) must use a specific preposition regardless of the verb.

So, I am glad to have helped you with  your questions about the use of Italian prepositions.

Have a nice day,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria