Italian Language/pronouns

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the placement of object pronouns and the placement of subject pronouns in negative sentences using the adverb “non”.

Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that direct object pronouns are always placed between “non” and the verb as shown by the placement of the direct object “lo” in the following sentence:

La bambina ha un libro ma non lo legge.
The girl has a book but is not reading it.

Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that indirect object pronouns are always placed between “non” and the verb as shown by the placement of the indirect object “le” in the following sentence:

Lui non le darà il libro.
He will not give her the book.

Can you also please tell me if I am correct in thinking that subject pronouns are always placed before “non” in a negative sentence as shown by the placement of the subject pronoun “io” in the following sentence:

Io non ho parenti.
I do not have relatives.

Thank you very much.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

You are correct in thinking that direct object pronouns are always placed between “non” and the verb as shown by the placement of the direct object “lo” in “La bambina ha un libro, ma non lo legge” (The girl has a book but is not reading it).

Also, you are correct in thinking that indirect object pronouns are always placed between “non” and the verb as shown by the placement of the indirect object “le” in  “Lui non le darà il libro” (He will not give her the book).

Lastly, you are  correct in thinking that subject pronouns are always placed before “non” in a negative sentence as shown by the placement of the subject pronoun “io” in “Io non ho parenti” (I do not have relatives), unless you want to emphasize the subject pronoun as in “Non ho parenti, io!” as in contrast with someone who has relatives.

Kind regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria