Italian Language/translation of "dopopranzo and "dopocena"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please help me to understand the correct translation of the following compound nouns – “dopopranzo” and “dopocena”.

I understand that “dopopranzo” and “dopocena” are used respectively to indicate all the hours after lunch / dinner and are not only limited to the period of time directly after
lunch / dinner, but I am not sure how to best indicate this in English.

Should I use  -  “afternoon” for “dopopranzo” ?

Should I use - “evening” for “dopocena” ?

If “yes” ,  would you also please tell me if the following translations are correct or not:

Ho passato il dopopranzo in casa.
I passed the afternoon at home.

Ti ho invitato per il dopocena.
I invited you for the evening.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

it is true  that “dopopranzo” and “dopocena” are used respectively to indicate all the hours after lunch / dinner and are not only limited to the period of time directly after lunch / dinner.

As for  how to best indicate “dopopranzo” and “dopocena” in English, you can  say :

-“afternoon” as well as “after lunch” or “ in the early afternoon “ for “dopopranzo”

-“after dinner” as well as “after supper” for “dopocena”.

See for example:

-“Ho passato il dopopranzo in casa” (I passed the afternoon at home);
-“Studierò dopopranzo” ( “I'm going to study after lunch” or “ this afternoon”);
-“Ti ho invitato per il dopocena” (I invited you for the after dinner/after supper);
-”Ci possiamo vedere  subito dopo pranzo” (We  can meet in the early afternoon).

As for "Ti ho invitato per il dopocena", please note that "I invited you for the evening" corresponds to "Ti ho invitato per la serata" rather than "Ti ho invitato per il dopocena".
See also :"Ho passato la serata con gli amici" ( I spent the evening with friends):

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria