Italian Language/Prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you for your help with my previous question.  

I have another question about the use of prepositions to link words that I hope you will not mind answering.

In the past I have learned about the complemento di mezzo, complemento di modo, complemento di termine, complemento di luogo, complemento di tempo, complemento di colpa, complemento di qualità, and the  complemento di vantaggio.  Can you please tell me if these complementi are examples of prepositions being used to link  verbs to  nouns or pronouns.  If “yes” can you also tell me if the choice of preposition is usually determined by the verb that is used in the sentence.

In the past, I also have learned about the complemento di specificazione, complemento di material, complemento di abbondanza,    complemento di scopo,  and the complemento d’agente.  Can you please tell me if these “complementi” are examples of prepositions being used to link a nouns to nouns.  

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,  

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Generally speaking,  the choice of a  preposition is usually determined by either  the verb or the noun  that we find in a sentence.
But it is the context with its indirect objects, such as  the complemento di mezzo, complemento di modo, complemento di termine, complemento di luogo, complemento di tempo, complemento di colpa, complemento di qualità, complemento di vantaggio, complemento di specificazione, complemento di materia, complemento di abbondanza, complemento di scopo,and the complemento d’agente, that determines the choice of a  preposition.

Therefore it is impossible to tell of a good general rule for using prepositions without a context where prepositions must be used, since each “complemento” takes different prepositions.

For example, the “complemento di modo” takes “con” as in “Mi salutò con grande affetto”, while the “complemento di termine” takes “a” as in “Si rivolse a mio padre e gli chiese di aiutarlo”, etc.

So, I’m sorry, but I cannot help you more, because in Italian as well as in English or in other languages the prepositions are linked to the context.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria