Italian Language/sedersi e sedere

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your great help with my question about the intransitive pronominal verb – sedersi.    Your great answer has really helped me to understand the difference between “sedere” and “sedersi”.

Just to make sure that I totally understand, would you please tell me if the following translations are correct:

sedere  =  to be seated

sedersi  =  to sit

Can you please also tell me if it would be possible to use the intransitive verb “sedere” (instead of sedersi) in these same sentences as in the following:

Di mattina vado al parco dove mi piace sedere e scrivere.
Di mattina vado nel parco dove amo sedere e scrivere.

If “yes” – would you also please tell me if the following translations are correct:

In the morning I go to the park where it pleases me to be seated and to write.
In the morning I go to the park where I love to be seated and to write.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Generally speaking,  the intransitive verb “sedere” means “to be seated” and the intransitive pronominal “sedersi” means “to sit”, as the former  indicates the state of being seated,  whereas the latter indicates  the action of sitting down, just as I’ve said in my previous answer.

It is therefore  not so acceptable to use the intransitive verb “sedere” (instead of “sedersi”) in ”Di mattina vado al parco dove mi piace sedere e scrivere” or in  “ Di mattina vado nel parco dove amo sedere e scrivere”.

Instead, it is better to  say “Di mattina vado al parco dove mi piace sedermi e scrivere” or “Di mattina vado al parco dove amo  sedermi e scrivere”, just because the intransitive pronominal verb “sedersi” indicates the action of sitting down rather than the state of being seated.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria