Italian Language/use of prepositions

Question
Dear Maria,

I found the following sentence in the computer course that I am using to study Italian:

Di mattina, io scrivo al parco.
In the morning, I write at the park.

Can you please tell me if the articulated preposition “al” can be used to form an Indirect Object of Place Where (al parco)  with a verb such as “scrivere” to denote the place where an action takes place.

I was wondering if it would be more correct to say:

Di mattina, io scrivo nel parco.
In the morning, I write at the park.

Is it possible that the sentence using “al parco” is not grammatically correct, but never the less is sometimes used colloquially?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Actually both   the sentences “Di mattina, io scrivo al parco” and “Di mattina, io scrivo nel parco” do not sound so good, as it would be better to say:”Di mattina vado al parco dove mi piace sedermi e scrivere” or “Di mattina vado nel parco dove amo sedermi e scrivere”.

As for articulated preposition “al”, it  is seldom  used to form an Indirect Object of Place Where (al parco)  with a verb such as “scrivere” to denote the place where an action takes place, as in e.g. “Scriveva allo scrittoio”, though it is better to say “Scriveva stando seduto allo scrittoio”.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria