Italian Language/use of - "va bene"

Question
Dear Maria,  

My question is about using the expressions “Come va?” or “Come va la salute?” to ask about a person’s health.

Can you please tell me if it is acceptable to answer - “va bene” to these questions.

For example – if someone asked me -  “Come va?” (How are you)  in reference to my health  -  would it be acceptable for me to answer “va bene” (OK)

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

When someone says  “Come va?” or “Come va la salute?” to ask about a person’s health,  it is acceptable to answer  “Va bene, grazie!” to these questions.

Therefore, if for example someone asked you  “Come va?” (How are you)  in reference to your health, it  would  be acceptable for you  to answer “Grazie, va bene”/"Va bene, grazie!" (OK) as well as “Sto bene, grazie!” (I’m fine, thank you).

Kind regards,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S.
Note that, generally speaking,  we can also say “Va bene” as an informal expression used as a way of showing that we are going to take action or start something new as in “Va bene, andiamo pure!” (OK, let's go) or “Va bene, se sei pronto, possiamo andare” (OK then, if you're ready we'll start).

Italian Language

Maria