Italian Language/"va bene"

Dear Maria,  

My question is about the following sentence: “Va bene, la piccola Lamour Harrington”.

I found this sentence in a novel that I am reading.  In this novel, a young American woman returns to Italy where she encounters an older man who was a friend  from her childhood.  When the man sees her after these many years he states - “Va bene, la piccola Lamour Harrington”.

Can you please help me understand the use of “va bene” in this sentence.  

I am thinking that a translation could be:  “Ok, the little one Lamour Harrington”, but this does not seem to completely fit the context.  Is there another meaning for “va bene”?  

Thank you.

Dear Rich,

I think that Elizabeth Adler, who wrote “The House in Amalfi”, does not know well Italian and so uses “Va bene” in a context where it would be better to say:”Certo che ti riconosco, sei la piccola Lamour Harrington”.

The previous sentence in the novel reads in fact:” “Mifune,” I said, “of course you won't remember me, but I've never forgotten you”.

Therefore it is correct to say in Italian :”Certo che ti riconosco, sei la piccola Lamour Harrington” (I really recognize you, you are the little one Lamour Harrington) rather than "Va bene, la piccola Lamour Harrington" where "Va bene" sounds quite strange as it is unfit to the antecedent phrase.

All the best,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: