Italian Language/"adesso" e "in questo momento:

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to understand if there exists any difference between the use and the meaning of:   “in questo momento” (at this moment) and “adesso” (now).

The reason I ask is because “at this moment” and “now” sound quite synonymous in English.   I was wondering if “in questo momento” and “adesso” are also synonymous in Italian.

For example, could you please tell me if both of the following sentences are equally acceptable to express that a person is presently at his mother’s house.

Adesso è da sua madre.
Now he is at his mother’s.

È da sua madre in questo momento.
He is at his mother’s at this moment.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

It is so: both  “in questo momento” (at this moment) and “adesso” (now) sound quite synonymous in Italian too and then both of the following sentences “Adesso è da sua madre” and “È da sua madre in questo momento”  are equally acceptable to express that a person is presently at his mother’s house.

Another synonym of “in questo momento”  and “adesso” is the adverb “ora” as in “Ora è da sua madre”.

Have a nice day,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria