Italian Language/pronouns

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of pronouns with the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and about the use of pronouns with the infinitive form of intransitive pronominal verbs.

I was wondering if pronouns can be attached to the end of these infinitives - as pronouns can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of transitive verbs.

For example, the direct object pronoun “la” can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of the transitive verb “vedere” as in -  “vederla”.

Does something similar happen with the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and with the infinitive form of intransitive pronominal verbs?   

To help me understand better, can you please tell me if any of the following are possible:

trovarsi (infinitive form, reflexive verb) plus “la” (direct object pronoun) = trovarsila

trovarsi (infinitive form, reflexive verb) plus “mi” (reflexive pronoun) = trovarsimi

trovarsi (infinitive form, reflexive verb, reciprocal use) plus “si” (reflexive reciprocal pronoun) = trovarsisi

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

I'm sorry, but none of the forms that you mention, i.e. “trovarsila”, “ trovarsimi” and “trovarsisi” is correct.
Anyway, the direct object pronouns “la”,”lo”,”li,”le” can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of the transitive verb “vedere” as well as to the end of the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and intransitive pronominal verbs such as e.g.  “trovarsi”.
So, you can say:
-“La casa che il tuo amico sta cercando può trovarsela da solo, grazie alle indicazioni che gli sono state date”
-“Deve trovarselo lui stesso il giornale che gli serve”
-“Gli amici bisogna trovarseli con cura”
-”Le amiche bisogna trovarsele con cura”

As you can see, if the direct object pronouns “la”,”lo”,”li,”le”  are attached to the end of  “trovarsi” and such an infinitive is related to a 3rd person singular/plural subject of a sentence, this verb changes the last “-i” to “-e” and something similar happens with other reflexive verbs and intransitive pronominal verbs as in e.g. "La colpa di tutto non deve gettarsela addosso solo lui".

If on the contrary the direct object pronouns “la”,”lo”,”li,”le”  are attached to the end of  “trovarsi” and such an infinitive is not related to a 3rd person singular/plural subject of a sentence, this verb drops the"-si" and adds "-te","-ve","-ce"  before the direct object pronouns “la”,”lo”,”li,”le”.
See for example:
-“La casa che  stai cercando puoi trovartela da solo, grazie alle indicazioni che gli sono state date”
-“Dovete trovarvelo voi stessi il giornale che vi serve”
-“Gli amici bisogna trovarceli con cura”
-”Le amiche dobbiamo trovarcele da sole”

With regard to the unaccented person pronouns "mi", "ti", "ci", "vi", "gli", they  can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and intransitive pronominal verbs as in e.g. “gettarglisi contro”, “presentarmisi”, “gettartisi”, “gettarmisi”,” presentarcisi”, ”presentarvisi” where however "mi", "ti", "ci", "vi", "gli"  precede the “-si” of the verbs “gettarsi” or “presentarsi” and other similar verbs.

See for example:

-”Non doveva gettarglisi contro”
-“Poteva gettarmisi addosso”
-“Può presentarmisi quando vuole”
-“Potevano presentarvisi prima”
etc.

To sum up, please note that:

1)the direct object pronouns “la”,”lo”,”li",”le” can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of the transitive verb “vedere” as well as to the end of the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and intransitive pronominal verbs. This causes some morphologic changes (See above).

2)the unaccented person pronouns "mi", "ti", "ci", "vi", "gli"  can be attached to the end of the infinitive form of reflexive verbs and intransitive pronominal verbs, but they  must precede the “-si” of these  verbs (See above).

As you see,  this matter is very difficult for a non-native speaker, but there is no other way to explain it.

Best regards,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. I had a very blessed Christmas  and  a nice  New Year’s Eve with my daughter and her husband, just as you and your wife with your son and his wife, your daughter and her husband, and your  beautiful grandchildren.  

Italian Language

Maria