Italian Language/Translation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to understand why the terms “studio dentistico”, “studio oculistico”, “studio veterinario”, and “studio legale” are translated as follows:

studio dentistico = dentist’s office
studio oculistico =  optician’s office
studio veterinario = veterinarian’s office
studio legale = lawyer’s office

According to my dictionary - the words “dentistico”,  “oculistico”,   “veterinario”, and “legale” are adjectives that have the following meanings:

dentistico = dental
oculistico = ophthalmic
veterinario = veterinary
legale = legal

This makes me wonder why these phrases are not translated as follows:

studio dentistico = dental office
studio oculistico = ophthalmic office
studio veterinario = veterinary office
studio legale = legal office

Is it possible that that the actual translation of “studio dentistico”  is “dental office”, but that “studio dentistico” can also be translated as “dentist’s office”  depending upon context or on what may sound better in the English sentence?

Is it possible that the actual translation of “studio oculistico” is “ophthalmic office”, but that “studio oculistico” can also be translated as “optician’s office” depending on context or on what sounds better in the English sentence?

Is it possible that the actual  translation of “studio veterinario” is “veterinary office”, but that “studio veterinario” can also  be translated as “veterinarian’s office” depending on context or on what sounds better in the English sentence?

Is it possible that the actual translation of “studio legale” is “legal office”, but that “studio legale” can also be translated as “lawyer’s office” depending on context or on what sounds better in the English sentence?

Thank you very much for your help with understanding the translations of these phrases.   I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

You can say “dentist’s office” as well as “dental office” (both meaning “studio  dentistico”)and “ lawyer’s office” as well as “legal office” (both meaning “studio legale”).

But “veterinary office” is not the same as “veterinarian’s office”, because “veterinary office” translates as “ufficio veterinario” which plays a role in restoring consumers' confidence in food safety procedures, while the “veterinarian’s office” ("studio veterinario")
is the office of a person with a medical degree trained to take care of the health of animals.

As for “studio oculistico”, which refers to a doctor who treats eye diseases, it corresponds to “ophthalmologist’s office”, not to “ophthalmic office” nor to “optician’s office”, for the noun “optician” means in Italian “ottico”, i.e. a person whose job is fitting and selling glasses and contact lenses to correct sight problems, but who does not examine people's eyes.

To sum up, “dentist’s office” is the same as  “dental office” (both meaning “studio  dentistico”) and  “lawyer’s office” is the same as  “legal office” (both meaning “studio legale”), whereas  “studio oculistico”  corresponds to “ophthalmologist’s office” and  “studio veterinario”  translates as  “veterinarian’s office”, as you can see below:

studio dentistico = "dentist’s office" or "dental office"
studio oculistico = "ophthalmologist’s office"
studio veterinario = “veterinarian’s office”
studio legale = "lawyer’s office" or "legal office"

Best regards,

Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,  

Thank you for your help with this question.  

Just to make sure that I am able to understand correctly, would you please help me a bit more with the term - “ufficio veterinario”.

Can you please tell me if the “ufficio veterinario” refers to an Italian agency that deals with food safety for humans, or does this agency/office office deal with food safety for animals?  

The use of the adjective - “veterinario” is confusing me when used to modify “ufficio”. To explain my confusion -   in English,   the term “veterinary” only refers to something connected with animals.     Does the Italian translation of “veterinary” - which is “veterinario” also  refer to human food?

Thank you very much for your help and patience.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the “ufficio veterinario” refers to an Italian agency that deals with food safety for humans as well as with food safety for animals simply because  such an agency  exerts control over animal health and nutrition such as the type, quantity and formulation of the compound feed, over legislation and administrative provisions on the animal and public health and hygiene conditions  of products of animal origin for human consumption.

In short, the “ufficio veterinario” lays down rules governing the production, processing, distribution and introduction of products of animal origin for human consumption, as well as the principles governing the organization of veterinary checks on animals entering Italy from other countries.

So, as you can see, the “ufficio veterinario” is an agency that has to do with animal health and veterinary checks related with human food of animal origin and thus it deals with food safety for humans as well as with food safety for animals.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria