Italian Language/trovarsi

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the usage and meaning of the verb - “trovarsi” in the following sentence:

“Se passi da Roma, vieni a trovarsi.
If you pass through Rome, come to meet us.

Would you please help me to understand the use of “trovarsi” in this sentence.

Can you please tell me if “trovarsi” is being used as a reflexive verb in this sentence.   

Does “trovarsi” have a reciprocal meaning in this sentence?    

Does “trovarsi” mean - “to meet each other”?  If “yes”, can you please help me to understand why “trovarsi” has been translated as - “to meet us”   in this sentence?

Is it  possible to use the transitive verb “trovare” (to meet with) and the direct object pronoun “ci” (us) and say – “Se passi da Roma, vieni a trovarci.”  (If you pass through Rome, come to meet with us)

Thank you very much.  

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence “Se passi da Roma, vieni a trovarci” (not “trovarsi” which is wrong in this context) the verb “trovarci” stands for “trovare noi”, where “trovare” is a transitive verb meaning “to see”/”to meet”, while “noi” and its equivalent enclitic pronominal particle “-ci”, used as  a direct object pronoun, means “us”.

Therefore  you are right when saying that  it would be  correct to use the transitive verb “trovare” (to meet ) and the direct object pronoun “ci” (us) and say – “Se passi da Roma, vieni a trovarci”  (If you pass through Rome, come to meet /to see us).

So, to sum up, in the sentence “Se passi da Roma, vieni a trovarsi” the infinitive mood “trovarsi” is a typo, while the correct form  is just  “trovarci”, as we can deduce from the translation “come to meet us”.

All the best to you and your family,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria