Italian Language/"camicia" vs "camicetta"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please explain the difference between a “camicia” and a “camicetta”.  My dictionary defines both words as “blouse”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

The noun  “camicia” corresponds to the English term “shirt”, i.e. “a piece of clothing worn, especially by men, on the upper part of the body, made of light cloth like cotton and usually having a collar and buttons at the front”, whereas “camicetta” corresponds to the English  “blouse”, i.e. “a shirt for a woman or girl”.

As you can see, it is incorrect to define  both “camicia” and “camicetta”  as “blouse”, since “blouse” corresponds only to “camicetta” which is a shirt for a woman or girl, while  “camicia” corresponds to “shirt”, which is a piece of clothing worn especially by men.

Best regards,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria