Italian Language/use if definite artiucle

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following Italian sentence:
“Sentite condoglianze a tutta la famiglia’

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct translation:
“Sincere condolences to all your family”

I was wondering about the placement of the definite article -“la” between the indefinite adjective “tutta” and the feminine noun “condoglianze”.

Is “la” included in this sentence to indicate the obvious possession of "family", or is “la” included because the adjective “tutto” must be followed by the definite article when “tutto” is placed before a noun.

Should this sentence have been written with two definite articles as in saying:
“Sentite condoglianze a tutta la la famiglia”

Or, should the possessive adjective also have been included as in saying:
“Sentite condoglianze a tutta la la mia famiglia”

Thank you very much for your very kind help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the  Italian sentence: “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la famiglia” (“Sincere condolences to all your family”)  the definite article  “la” between the indefinite adjective “tutta” and the feminine noun “famiglia”  is included because the adjective “tutto” must be followed by the definite article when “tutto” is placed before a noun.

As for  “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la la famiglia” with two definite articles “la la” before “famiglia”, it is absolutely wrong and moreover  such repetition sounds quite  strange, of course.

Lastly, a possessive adjective could be included as in saying: “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la tua famiglia”, if the condolences are  addressed  to only one person and so we use the 2nd person singular possessive adjective “tua” agreed with “famiglia”, or in saying: “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la vostra  famiglia”,  if the condolences are  addressed  to many persons and so we use the 2nd person plural possessive adjective  “vostra” agreed with “famiglia”.

To sum up, you can say  “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la famiglia”  as well as “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la tua famiglia” or “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la  vostra famiglia” , according to the foresaid circumstances, whereas  “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la la famiglia” and “Sentite condoglianze a tutta la la  mia famiglia” are wrong, first because you cannot use “la la”, second because you cannot use the 1st person possessive adjective “mia” if you want to say “Sincere condolences to all your family”.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria