Italian Language/use of: "fare" plus "infinitive"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following sentence is correct or not:

Apprezzo tutto che hai fatto aiutarmi.
I appreciate all that you have done to help me.

I especially want to make certain that I am correct to think that the verb “fare” is not linked to a following infinitive by a preposition.   For example – I am thinking that to have written:   “hai fatto a aiutarmi” or “hai fatto di aiutarmi” would have been wrong.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

You should have written “Apprezzo tutto ciò che hai fatto per aiutarmi” as well as “Apprezzo tutto quello che hai fatto per aiutarmi” just meaning “I appreciate all that you have done to help me”.
As for "Apprezzo tutto che hai fatto aiutarmi", it is wrong, first because "tutto" must be followed by the demonstrative pronoun "ciò" or "quello" before the relative pronoun "che"; second, because "hai fatto" must be followed by the preposition "per".

Please note that the verb “fare” is  linked to a following infinitive by the following prepositions:

-“per” in e.g. “…ciò /quello che hai fatto per aiutarmi”; “Fece per andarsene “( He was about to leave); “ Fece per baciarlo”( she made as if to kiss him).

-“a” such as in “Come faccio a saperlo?” (how should I know?); “Ce la fai a finirlo?”( can you manage to finish it?).

-“da” such as in “Farsi da mangiare” ( to do one’s own cooking); “Farsi degli amici /dei nemici “ (to make friends / enemies).

As for “Apprezzo tutto ciò/quello che hai fatto a aiutarmi” or “Apprezzo tutto ciò/quello che hai fatto di aiutarmi”, they both are wrong because the correct preposition would be “per”, as I’ve already said.

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria