Italian Language/use of "scacco" "scacchi" e " a scacchi"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if the following is correct or not:

“scacchi”   =  plural masculine noun that means “chess”    (a game for 2 players each of whom moves 16 pieces according to fixed rules across a checkerboard and tries to checkmate the opponent's king)

“scacco”    = masculine noun that means “chess piece”

“a scacchi” =   “complemento di modo” that means “checkered” (a pattern of colored squares)

If this is all correct, would you also please tell me if I am correct to think that “a scacchi” translates into English as an adjective.  

For example, would “un vestito a scacchi” means   “a checkered dress”?

Thank you very, very much for all of your kind and gracious help.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

Glad to help you  with all your questions.
So, “scacchi” is just a  plural masculine noun that means “chess”, “the game of chess”  (a game for 2 players each of whom moves 16 pieces according to fixed rules across a checkerboard and tries to checkmate the opponent's king)

“scacco”   is just a singular masculine noun that means “chess piece”

“a scacchi”  can be either a  “complemento di modo” that means “checkered” or “chequered” as an adjective referring to  a pattern of colored squares in two or more colours, or a “complemento di mezzo” referring to the game of chess as in “giocare a scacchi” (to play chess) and “fare una partita a scacchi” (to play / to have a game of chess ).

As you can see, you are  correct to think that “a scacchi” translates into English as an adjective , i.e. “checkered” or “chequered , when it refers to a pattern of colored squares in two or more colours, as in “un vestito a scacchi” meaning   “a checkered dress” and “una  tovaglia a scacchi” meaning “a checkered tablecloth”.

Lastly I have to tell you that we can say  "tenere qualcuno in scacco" meaning "to hold/ to keep someone in check", and "subire uno scacco" meaning "to suffer a setback"

Have a nice weekend,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria