Italian Language/Plural of a noun

Question
In the Italian language, genero is son-in-law. What is the correct word for the plural...sons-in-law?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

the plural  of the masculine noun “genero” (son-in-law) is “generi” (sons-in-law), so that we say “il genero” (the son-in-law) in the singular and “i generi” (the sons-in-law)  in the plural.

See for example: “Mio genero si chiama Dario” (my son-in-law’s name is Dario), “I miei generi si chiamano Dario e Giovanni” (my sons-in-law’s names are Dario and Giovanni), “Il genero del mio amico è molto gentile”(the son-in-law of my friend is very kind), “I generi di mio fratello sono  entrambi Inglesi” (Both the sons-in-law of my friend are British), etc.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria