Italian Language/use of "stare bene"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of “stare bene” (to fit well).

I understand that one of the uses of “stare bene” is to talk about how clothing fits.  Can you please tell me if I am correct to think that in this usage “stare bene” must be used with an indirect object pronoun.

For example:  “mi sta bene” = it fits me”

If this is correct, can you also please tell me if I am correct to think that “stare” is a “linking” verb used with an “indirect” object pronoun” that must be translated into English as a “transitive” verb (to fit)used with a  “direct” object pronoun (me).

I just wanted to make sure that I understand this correctly.  

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your generous help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

When “stare bene”  is used to say “to fit well” /”to suit” in the sense  of a colour or style of clothes which make someone look more attractive, it takes an indirect object pronoun as in e.g. “Questo cappello mi sta bene” (this hat fits /suits me), “Dovresti indossare di più il rosso: è un colore che ti sta bene” (you should wear more red:it suits/fits  you),“Le gonne corte non mi stanno bene”( Short skirts don't really suit/fit me ), etc.

So, it’s  correct to think that “stare” is a “linking” verb used with an “indirect object pronoun” that must be translated into English as a “transitive” verb (to fit/to suit) used with a “direct object pronoun".

Therefore  make sure that you understood this correctly.  

Have a nice afternoon,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria