Italian Language/complementi di specificazioni

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me if “di velluto” is classified as a “complemento di specificazione” that translates into English as the adjective - “velvet”.

I am also confused with the correct terminology in regards to - “complementi di specificazioni”.   

If I were to say - “vestito di velluto”,  can you please tell me which of the following would be the correct way to describe this phrase:

[1]   “vestito di velluto” is  a “complemento di specificazione”

[2]   “di velluto” is a “complemento di specificazione” that is used to modify the noun “vestito”

[3]  “di velluto” is a “complemento” that is used to modify the noun “vestito”

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In Italian parsing (analisi grammaticale) and in sentence analysis (analisi logica)  the indirect object  “di velluto”( that translates into English as the adjective - “velvet)  is classified  as a “complemento di materia”, not as a “complemento di specificazione”.

The indirect object “di velluto” indicates in fact the material of which the clothing is made.

See for example:” Un vestito di lana”, “Una sciarpa di seta”, “Una maglietta di cotone” where “di lana”, “di seta” and “di cotone” indicate  the material of which something is made.

Therefore, if you were to say - “vestito di velluto”,   the correct way to describe this phrase would be  :“di velluto” is a “complemento di materia” that is used to modify the noun “vestito” and say the material of which “vestito” is made.

As for the  Italian “complemento di specificazione” which usually corresponds to the English “of + a noun/name”, it denotes the person or thing to which an object, quality, feeling, or action belong.

See e.g. “La moglie di Ettore” (Hector's wife), “La temerarietŕ di un uomo disperato” (the recklessness of desperate men), “L’eloquenza di Cicerone” (Cicero's eloquence), “Il libro del mio amico” (The book of my friend), etc. where "di Ettore", "di un uomo disperato", "di Cicerone" and "del mio amico" are "complementi di specificazione" as they all are used to denote the person or thing to which an object, quality, feeling, or action belong.

Hope all is clear now.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria