Italian Language/priva di senso

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

Quanto a “Come sono mostrato sotto”, devo purtroppo dirti che è una frase sbagliata e priva di senso in Italiano, perché, se vuoi aggiungere il verbo “essere”, dovresti  scrivere  “come è mostrato sotto”, che tuttavia suona molto pesante, anche se si tratta di una forma impersonale grammaticalmente corretta.

As for “come sono mostrato sotto” , I must unfortunately tell you that it is an incorrect sentence and meaningless in Italian because, if you want to add the verb “essere” you should write “come è mostrato sotto”, that however sounds very ponderous, even if it is about a grammatically correct impersonal form.

I am especially trying to understand the use of “priva di senso” which I have translated as “meaningless” (literal - “without sense”).

Can you please tell me how to classify “priva di”.  

I am thinking that, maybe, “priva di” is an adjective that means “without”.  Is this true?  If “yes”, can you also then please tell me how to classify this adjective that is composed of two words (priva plus the preposition di)  

Also, would you please tell me if the word “privo/a” is ever used without the preposition “di”.  If “yes”, can you also then please tell me the meaning and classification of “privo” or “priva”.  (I was not able to find privo or priva in my dictionaries)

Thank you very, very much.   

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

your translation is correct, apart from a passage where you should have written  ”… that however sounds very laboured, even if it is a grammatically correct impersonal form”, for the adjective “laboured” (“pesante”, in Italian) means “lacking in grace or fluency”, while  “it is an…impersonal form” corresponds to “si tratta di una forma impersonale”  which stands for “è una forma impersonale”, as I’ve already said when talking about "si tratta di".

As for “meaningless” for “priva di senso”, it is  definitely correct as well as it is true that  “priva ” is a feminine  adjective that literally  means “lacking” and then  also “without”.  

Such an adjective (“privo” in the masculine singular and “priva” in the feminine singular) is  not composed of two words (“priva” plus the preposition “di”), but simply it is an adjective which is usually followed by the preposition “di” which governs an indirect object of  Privation preceded by “di” as in “Sei privo di entusiasmo”(you are lacking in enthusiasm).

Lastly, the adjective “privo/a”, which must exist in any good dictionary, is always  used with the preposition “di”.  

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria